FareShare Recipe Exchange Group
|Other Recipes with Photos||
* Exported from MasterCook *
Lemon Chiffon Cake
Recipe By :
Adapted from Betty Crocker
Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
1. Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 325F. In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat in cold water, oil, vanilla, lemon zest and egg yolks until smooth.
2. Wash and dry beaters. In large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually pour flour mixture over beaten egg whites, folding with rubber spatula just until blended. Pour into ungreased 10-inch angel food (tube) cake pan.
3. Bake about 1 hour 15 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly. Immediately turn pan upside down onto heatproof funnel or bottle.
Let hang until completely cool, about 2 hours. Loosen side of cake with knife or long, metal spatula; remove from pan.
4. In 1 1/2-quart saucepan, melt butter over low heat; remove from heat.
Stir in powdered sugar and lemon zest until smooth. Stir in lemon juice, 1 tablespoon at a time, until smooth and the consistency of thick syrup. Add yellow food coloring if desired. Spread glaze over top of cake, allowing some to drizzle down side.
5. Garnish with jell slices and mint, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
If using self-rising flour, there is no need to add baking powder and salt.
Be sure not to get any egg yolks into the egg whites while separating the eggs, because even a speck of yolk will prevent the whites from beating properly.
Made by Doris previously and on September 7, 2009. Lovely and light. We made candied lemon slices for decoration. They were pretty, but not very good to eat!
the FareShare Gazette by Art; 8 September 2009.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Back to Photo
Manage Your Subscription,
Please include the email address under which you are subscribed.
Top of Page
Disclaimer: The operators of the FareShare Website are not responsible for the content or practice of any website to which we link for your convenience.
Hallie du Preez and Art Guyer operate this project.
Provide feedback here.
Home | Chat | Recipes | Metrics | Cooking Temperatures | Members | Guest Book | Links